An experienced leader in product safety and regulatory compliance in chemical and technical manufacturing. Recognized as an industry expert in chemical hazard communication. Expertise in support of new product introduction, due diligence and integration of acquisitions. Managed chemical manufacturing and environmental compliance with emphasis on product safety, hazard communications and toxic substances regulations. Excellent skills in presentations, building consensus and facilitating and leading programs.
Syracuse University, MBA, 1972, Concentrations: Organizational Behavior & Finance Polytechnic Institute of NYU (formerly Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn), BS, Chemical Engineering, 1968
U.S. Department of Transportation Multimodal Seminars: 2004, 2006 Harvard School of Public Health:
Analyzing Risk - 1995
Risk Analysis in Environmental & Occupational Health - 1991
Fundamentals of Industrial Hygiene With Practicum - 1987
Wayne State University
Principles & Practice of Industrial Toxicology - 1986
Toxic Substance Control Institute:
National Hazardous Materials Control Seminar - 1979
AlliedSignal sponsored training: Leadership Workshop, Project Management, Emergency Response Training, Press Relations, Negotiation Workshop, Aerospace Product Liability and others
Product Safety Solutions, L.L.C., Basking Ridge, NJ
AlliedSignal Inc., (now Honeywell International), Morristown, NJ
Corporate Director, Product Safety & Integrity (1994-1998)
Manager, Product Safety (1984-1993)
Manager, Product Responsibility Programs (1979-1983)
Supervisor, Product Safety (1978-1979)
Supervisor of Manufacturing at the Syracuse Works (1968-1978)
Society for Chemical Hazard Communication:
Awarded "Hazcom Lifetime Achievement Award" in October, 2003, "In recognition of your significant contributions to the field of hazard communication."
Past president (March, 1996 - March, 1998)
Served on Board of Directors for nine years: (April, 1998 - April, 2007)
Member of Program Committee and past committee chairman
Chair of Website Committee
Member of "OSHA Alliance" team charged with developing hazard communication training and guidance documents to assist Society members, industry and small businesses with complying with the Hazard Communication Standard and developing Material Safety Data Sheets. Leader of MSDS training course development team that developed an MSDS authoring course for OSHA.
Member of the Society's Professional Development faculty for "Labeling Workshop" and "Hazcom 101" courses. Course director of Labeling Workshop.
Instituted Society's Web Site to serve member needs and provide resources to all developers of chemical MSDSs and labels.
Attendee at biannual meetings for past 27 years. Frequent presenter of hazard communication topics and panel moderator.
Academy of Certified Hazardous Materials Managers:
- Certified Hazardous Material Manager, Master Level (CHMM)
- New Jersey Chapter:
- Member of Executive Board and past Chairman of Programs and Professional Development Committees
- Registrar for annual CHMM Essentials of Hazardous Materials Management Course: 2002 - present.
- Administrator of the James Ross Memorial Scholarship and the Tom Dalton Memorial Scholarship.
- Member of the National Academy's Professional Development Committee.
- Awarded "Champion of Excellence" in 2007, 2008 and 2009*
*To be officially awarded at the national meeting in San Diego.
U.S. Department of Labor -
- Member of editorial board for U.S. OSHA's Hazard Communication Web Page.
- Performed training for hazard communication personnel of client companies and helped to establish client's internal programs.
- Developed labeling and MSDSs for client products under various regulatory venues including both industrial and consumer products marketed in the United States, Canada, the European Union and some Pacific Rim countries.
- Provided expert assistance with labeling issues relative to right to know regulations including California's Proposition 65 and New Jersey's Worker and Community Right to Know regulations.
- Provided expert assistance to client companies' personnel responsible for labeling and MSDS preparation.
- Recently assisted (2006) a Fortune 500 Company with internal Product Stewardship business review.
- Member of one multinational client's U.S. Health and Safety Committee.
- Recently assisted Fortune 500 Company with acquisition due diligence for hazard communication documents.
- Co-chaired program that successfully developed the initial industry-standard 16 section MSDS format for the chemical industry.
- Negotiated international consensus on the use of a 16-section MSDS and co-chaired development of first American National Standard on MSDSs. (Z400.1)
- Chaired the Workgroup that updated the ANSI MSDS standard for 1998 publication.
- Co-chair of the ANSI Labeling Standard Workgroup that produced the 1994 edition of the Labeling Standard. (Z129.1)
- Chaired the CMA Workgroup on Standard Phraseology for Emergency Response that developed guidance documents on personal protective equipment and chemical packages and shipping containers. (The CMA is now known as the American Chemistry Council - ACC.)
- Led the process that converted AlliedSignal's Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs) to ANSI 16 section format. Recognized by customers as value-added.
- Authored Chemical Manufacturers Association (CMA) comments to U.S. State Department in support of worldwide harmonization of hazard communication standards.
- Warnings expert for AlliedSignal in toxic tort litigation. Answered interrogatories, testified in depositions and in trials. Subsequent work as warnings expert for various clients.
- Led program that revised MSDSs and labels for compliance with OSHA Hazard Communication Standard for over 800 products.
- Redirected preparation of MSDSs and labels to business units, trained business personnel and established review process to assure quality and consistency of documents.
- Designed early "pre-Windows" MSDS authoring system, later sold by commercial programming partner.
Regulatory Affairs & Compliance Programs:
- Trained the staff's of several clients in Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) compliance and program development.
- Authored corporate compliance policies for clients in TSCA and other product safety areas.
- Evaluated client regulatory compliance programs and recommended restructuring of same.
- While at AlliedSignal, created Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) Council that established compliance assurance processes and supported product introduction activities of businesses with 'pesticide' products registered with EPA.
- Instituted TSCA (Toxic Substances Control Act) compliance training program and trained 800 key personnel. Led TSCA compliance network for 25 businesses and 220+ manufacturing locations.
- Led AlliedSignal Risk Assessment Committee in evaluation and/or reportability of risk data on both products and location situations.
- Supported commercialization of new chemicals via EPA's chemical premanufacturing approval process.
- Active member of AlliedSignal's Due Diligence team that established standard practices for identifying potential liabilities associated with acquisition of companies and product lines.
- Performed product safety due diligence on business acquisitions and provided TSCA and hazard communication training for acquired businesses.
- Identified multi-million dollar TSCA liability prior to closing, resulting in modification to purchase contract, preventing assumption of liability for significant potential penalty.
- Performed product stewardship audits for clients.
- Served as an "emergency response manager" for 15 years. Responsible for resolution of transportation and customer emergencies involving company products.
- Consolidated reporting processes for aviation and automotive product quality issues and led modernization of the automotive product integrity process.
- Developed Product Responsibility Program for several chemical divisions to manage risk associated with product production, distribution, use and disposal.
- Developed first Product Responsibility Program for AlliedSignal's industrial chemicals business.
- Periodically updated and issued Product Responsibility Program Guidelines to meet growth and expansion of company businesses.
- Trained 600+ sales personnel, business leaders and researchers in Product Responsibility.
- Member of Chemical Manufacturers Association (CMA) Product Stewardship Task Group for 10+ years. Initiated policy for non-emergency access to MSDSs in the CHEMTREC emergency response database. Served on review team for the Product Stewardship Code of Management Practices. Actively participated and lead CMA programs in product stewardship